09 | Sports in Rehabilitation
Two months after starting the Rehab-Cycle®, Lisa had progressed, meeting the goals set for two of her three cycle goals – independence in self-care and increased participation in recreation and leisure.
- Jacobs PL, Nash MS. Exercise recommendations for individuals with spinal cord injury. Sports Med. 2004; 34(11): 727-751.
- Scelza WM, Kirshblum SC, Wuermser LA, Ho CH, Priebe MM, Chiodo AE. Spinal cord injury medicine. 4. Community reintegration after spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 88(3) Suppl.1: S71-S75.
- Hoffman MD. Cardiorespiratory fitness and training in quadriplegics and paraplegics. Sports Med. 1986; 3(5): 312-330.
- Haisma JA, Bussmann JB, Stam HJ, Sluis TA, Bergen MP, Dallmeijer AJ, de Groot S, van der Woude LH. Changes in physical capacity during and after inpatient rehabilitation in subjects with a spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2006; 87: 741-748.
- Devillard X, Rimaud D, Roche F, Calmels P. Effects of training programs for spinal cord injury. Ann Réadapt Méd Phys. 2007; 50(6): 490-498.
- Noreau L, Fougeyrollas P. Long-term consequences of spinal cord injury on social participation: The occurrence of handicap situations. Disabil and Rehab. 2000; 22(4): 170-180.
- Nooijen CFJ, de Groot S, Postma K, Bergen MP, Stam HJ, Bussmann JBJ, van den Berg-Emons RJ. A more active lifestyle in persons with a recent spinal cord injury benefits physical fitness and health. Spinal Cord. 2012; 50: 320-323.
- Muraki S, Tsunawake N, Hiramatsu S, Yamasaki M. The effect of frequency and mode of sports activity on the psychological status in tetraplegics and paraplegics. Spinal Cord. 2000; 38(5): 309-314.
- Gioia MC, Cerasa A, Di Lucente L, Brunelli S, Castellano V, Traballesi V. Psychological impact of sports activity in spinal cord injury patients. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2006; 16(6): 412-416.
- Tasiemski T, Kennedy P, Gardner BP, Taylor N. The association of sports and physical recreation with life satisfaction in a community sample of people with spinal cord injuries. NeuroRehabilitation. 2005; 20(4): 253-265.
- Slater D, Meade MA. Participation in recreation and sports for persons with spinal cord injury: Review and recommendations. NeuroRehabilitation. 2004; 19(2): 121-129.
- Miller W, Chan C. Spinal Cord Independence Measure (SCIM). [Internet] 1 February 2013. Available from: http://www.scireproject.com/outcome-measures-new/spinal-cordindependence-measure-scim. Accessed 2015.
- Feldenkrais M. Awareness through movement.(German: Bewusstheit durch Bewegung). Frankfurt am Main, Germany: Surkamp Taschenbuch Verlag; 1978.
- Jain S, Janssen K, DeCelle S. Alexander technique and Feldenkrais method: A critical overview. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2004; 15(4): 811-825.
- Hillier S and Worley A. The effectiveness of the Feldenkrais Method: A systematic review of the evidence. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015; 2015 (Article ID 752160): 1-12.